Tuesday, April 10, 2012

12th Birthday

My little girl was born 12 years ago. Only one more year and I'm going to have a teenager - yikes!






She didn't get a birthday cake, per se because her birthday was Easter Sunday. We just put candles in the dessert and called it good. :)

For her card I tried so hard to channel my inner Melissa Phillips and make something pink, girly, and glittery. I'm not sure I succeeded but DD seemed to think it was okay. I almost gave up and tossed it in the trash but just kept going with it, adding things here and there until I was okay with it - not thrilled, mind you, but "okay."

2012 04 08_5893_edited-1

I knew I wanted to use the new PTI zipper die that I got. That's just too fun to not use.

2012 04 08_5894_edited-1

I also wanted to try cutting a scallop edge out of chipboard, paint it, and stamp a pattern on it (a la Miss Melissa). You can barely see the faint gingham print on the white chipboard scallop. I liked this technique and I think I would distress it even more than I did this time so that there is a lot less white. I'd also use a brighter pink so that the gingham print would be more visible.

And then there was the glitter. What 12 year old girl doesn't like glitter? I wanted to incorporate that, too. And this is where things were going to heck in a handbasket. I just couldn't get all these elements to work together very well. I went through my inspiration binder to find a layout that could work with the elements I had and CASE'd that.

Here's the card after she ripped open the zipper. She didn't see it at first and I forgot about the zipper part (duh!) and after about 10 minutes, she came to me and asked if she could really open it where it said "Pull Here". Oh. Um, yeah. Please do! She thought it was fun. As did her brother.

2012 04 10_5854_edited-1

2012 04 10_5855_edited-1

I think if I were to do this again I would use the same color ink - a medium gray - behind all the flourishes. The flourish on the pink cardstock is a very light gray and is covered with glitter. And the large flourish on the blue paper is stamped in a bold black ink. Lesson learned.

On the inside of the card I used another stamp from Movers and Shakers: Sentiments.

2012 04 10_5856_edited-1

So, there you have it. The card that almost wasn't. :)

Supplies:
Cardstock: Sweet Blush, white, Hibiscus Burst (PTI)
Stamps: Movers and Shakers: Sentiments, Fancy Flourishes, Tiny Tags (all PTI), Gingham & Co. (WMS), flourish on the pink cardstock is from the Clever Girls set (Amuse Studios)
Teal patterned paper: MME
Ink: Black (Memories), Pebble (Amuse) - under the flourish on the pink cardstock so can't really see it, Provincial Gray (Fresh Ink), Bubblegum (Amuse) 
Other: corner rounder (We R Memory Keepers), Tiny Tags die (PTI), twine (PTI), button (PTI), gingham ribbon from stash, medium scallop edge die (PTI)

2 comments:

Joyce said...

What a sweet card. Isn't 12 just the best age? I've got one, too, but she would shoot me if I gave her anything pink. I'll bet she enjoyed that zipper.

Jill said...

Jennifer, I think this card is fantastic! (Or I could say "awesome" or "brilliant" or "amazing" hee!) Seriously, I love the glittery flourish work, the cute little button & tag, the colors--all of it! Happy Birthday to your adorable daughter!